Hochschule Karlsruhe Hochschule Karlsruhe - University of Applied Sciences
Hochschule Karlsruhe Hochschule Karlsruhe - University of Applied Sciences
Students sitting on the HKA campus and chatting

Information for international students

On this page, as an international student you will find answers to some of the questions you are bound to ask yourself before starting your studies at HKA: Do I need a visa or residence permit? How do I get health insurance? How do I get to Karlsruhe? How do I enroll at the university? Do I have to pay tuition fees and, while we are on the subject of money, how do I get a German bank account?



International Office
Anna Tillhon

Phone: +49 (0)721 925-1086
Fax: +49 (0)721 925-1089
anna.tillhonspam prevention@h-ka.de

Geb. R, Raum 006
Moltkestraße 30
76133 Karlsruhe

Visa/Residence Permit

Once you have received the commitment from HKA, you need to find out about the entry requirements and the residence permit in Germany. Since visa regulations change from time to time, the most reliable source to do this is the website of the German Foreign Office. Here you can also find information on the visa procedure.

If you need a visa to enter the country, apply for a national visa FOR STUDY PURPOSES at the German embassy or consulate that has jurisdiction over the region where you live. If you are unsure, you can find it here. The visa is usually only valid for 6 months after your arrival in Germany and may need to be extended in Karlsruhe.

Please keep in mind that it may take some time to get all the documents you need for the visa application: e.g. a valid passport, proof of funds or proof of health insurance, etc. These requirements may vary depending on the country, so please check directly on the website of the German Embassy which documents you need. 

If you are on a tourist visa, you cannot apply for a study visa here. Therefore, we must strongly advise you not to come to Germany to study on a tourist visa! Without a study visa, you will not be able to enroll as a student, but will have to travel back to your home country to complete the formalities first. Further helpful information about the study visa can be found here.

If you do not need a visa to enter Germany ("No" in the list of the German Foreign Office), you are generally not allowed to stay longer than 90 days per period of 180 days in Germany without a visa. As soon as you have registered in the city, you must then apply for a residence title for study purposes at the Foreigners' Registration Office. You can find information on this here.

After your arrival in Germany: Every person living in Germany has to report their address. This is independent of your nationality and must be done within two weeks. You can find information about this here. If you change address during your stay in Germany, you must also inform the Bürgerbüro/ Ausländerbehörde.

Health insurance

A valid health insurance or an exemption from statuary health insurance is part of the requirements for enrollment. It is mandatory that students have either before their arrival, even for short study stays in Germany. The university needs to receive a digital notification about your insurance status. These notifications can only be send by statuary health insurance providers. Therefore every new student has to send their insurance insformation to a stautuary health insurance provider and ask for a M10 notifcation to Hochschule Karlsruhe. 

Students under the age of 30 require full health insurance, including long-term care insurance. Statuary health insurance provides this in any case and is offered by the AOK, TK and other insurance companies. A list of all statutory health insurances can be found here. The costs are about 120 euros per month. You can also choose other insurance options, but they need to be approved by a statuary health insurance company. You would also need to fill out and sign an application for exemption which will be provided to you by the statuary health insurance company you contact.

Students over 30 years of age cannot apply for staturay health insurance. You must apply for private health insurance. You can also apply for private travel insurance. You still need to send the documents to a statuary health insurance provider and ask them to send a M10 notification to Hochschule Karlsruhe.

Students from EU countries do not need additional health insurance, if they have an European health insurance card. Students from Turkey or Switzerland with  AT-11/BH6 etc. insurance also do not need additional insurance. To be on the safe side, please always check with your health insurance in your home country to see if the insurance is also valid for a study stay in Germany. You also still need to send your documents or your Europena helath insurance card to a statuary health insurance provider and ask them to send a M10 notification to Hochschule Karlsruhe.

If you hold an insurance from your home country or are insured through a scholarship you must apply for an exemption through a statuary health insurance provider. Your insurance certificate must be valid for the entire duration of your stay. You must present this certificate to a statutory health insurance company before your arrival in order to receive an exemption from the statutory health insurance.

Travel to Germany

Nearest airports:

Frankfurt Airport (FRA):
Continue by train (direct trains available) or by bus to Karlsruhe Hbf

Baden Airpark (FKB):
Continue by bus to Rastatt train station, then by train to Karlsruhe Hbf

Stuttgart Airport (STR):
Continue by train or bus to Karlsruhe Hbf

Taking the train:

It is possible to buy train tickets without seat reservation in Germany even shortly before departure. You can get them at the ticket machines, but also at the service counters at the station. Of course, you can also book your tickets in advance via Deutsche Bahn's mobility portal (also in English and other languages) or via the app DB Navigator. There you can also easily search out the cheapest connections.

There are express trains and regional trains. Express trains: IC and ICE – they are faster and more expensive. Regional trains: RB, RE, IRE, S-Bahn – they stop more often, but are cheaper. Please note: You may not take an express train when holding a ticket for a regional train.

D-Ticket: For 49 € a month you can take regional trains and often use local transport in cities all over Germany. It is valid for an unlimited number of trips. You'll find more information here. You can also buy regional day tickets.  They get cheaper the more people travel with it. When buying the ticket you take into account the number of people traveling with you. You can buy the ticket directly at the ticket machine or online. The DTicket is available online or at the Ticket-Service-Desk in the main train station. 

Arrival by bus: Karlsruhe train station is also served by numerous long-distance bus lines, such as Flixbus, BlablaBus, Eurolines, or BusFor.

Public transport in Karlsruhe: KVV 

Here you can find information about the Campus Card, which also serves as a semester ticket for local transport.

Campus Map of Karlsruhe University of Applied Sciences.

Enrolling at HKA and tuition fees

Exchange students and students of the English-language Master's programs (Sensor Systems Technology and Geomatics) receive information about registering from Anna Tillhon of the International Office. General information about the requirements can be found here. Please be aware that the state of Baden-Württemberg charge tuition fees of 1500 € per semester to students from non-EU countries when they enrol for Bachelor's and Master's degree programmes. Exemptions and refunds are only possible under certian conditions. A refund due to discontinuation of studies is only possible until 4 weeks after the start of lectures. 

Opening a bank account

You will need a "checking account" so that you can transfer tuition fees, if required. The dormitory deposit will also be refunded to this account when your study stay is over. If you have a part-time job your salary will be transferred there and possibly the tax refund.

Please get quotes and check the terms - a checking account should not cost a fee. Ask about special accounts for students. 

You will have to wait a few weeks to receive your bank card but if you need to access your account during that time (for deposits or withdrawals), inquire with the counter staff.

Please remember: If you overdraw your account you will receive some credit from the bank, but you will have to pay interest on this borrowed money.

When you leave Karlsruhe you should leave your account in place for as long as you are still in Germany and then cancel the account from your home country. This way, money can still be transferred to you if there are late repayments. You will need to take the cancellation forms with you to do this. Please inform the bank of your valid home address before you leave.

Looking for accommodation

Information on finding housing specifically for international students can be found here

More information

Information about organizations and possible activities in Karlsruhe that are especially interesting for foreign students can be found here.