Hochschule Karlsruhe Hochschule Karlsruhe - University of Applied Sciences
Hochschule Karlsruhe Hochschule Karlsruhe - University of Applied Sciences
Groups of students in front of building at HKA campus

Coming from abroad

Of the approximately 7,800 students at HKA, more than 1,000 come from abroad; at all of Karlsruhe's universities, with their total of approximately 43,000 students, the figure is about 8,000. The proportion of foreigners in the total population of Karlsruhe is, at almost 30%, significantly higher. Foreign students thus find a strongly international, culturally open environment in our city. 

Whether you complete a full course of study at HKA or come to us from a partner university for an exchange semester – as a student at HKA you will become part of the international student community in Karlsruhe.

Studying at HKA as an international student

External content

To use this content (Source: www.xyz.de), please click to Accept. We would like to point out that by accepting this iframes data to third parties transmitted or cookies could be stored.

You can find further information in our Privacy policy.


International Office
Anna Tillhon

Phone: +49 (0)721 925-1086
Fax: +49 (0)721 925-1089
anna.tillhonspam prevention@h-ka.de

Geb. R, Raum 006
Moltkestraße 30
76133 Karlsruhe

Regular study program

Most international students at HKA want to earn a Bachelor's or Master's degree from HKA or are working on their doctorate in cooperation with another German or foreign university. The majority of HKA's degree programs are taught in German, but you can also study here partially or completely in English. An internship semester in a domestic or foreign company is compulsory in all HKA bachelor's degree programs.


Application procedure for regular students

Exchange semester

You are studying at one of our approximately 180 partner universities worldwide and would like to spend a semester abroad at HKA as part of an exchange agreement? Then you have the opportunity to attend courses in German or English on the basis of a so-called learning agreement. You can also complete an internship semester in a company or write your Bachelor's or Master's thesis at HKA.


Application procedure for exchange students

Working in Germany

With a degree from HKA you have a good chance of finding a suitable and well-paid job in Germany. This is especially easy if you come from an EU state – then you can simply work in Germany within the framework of the freedom of movement. If you come from a state outside the EU, your residence permit is initially valid for 18 months to look for work in Germany after you have successfully completed your studies. During this time you have an unrestricted work permit. You must provide proof of

  • successfully completed studies
  • health insurance coverage
  • being able to support your livelihood

Once you have found a job that matches your qualifications you must apply for the appropriate residence permit. You can find detailed information here

The Center of Competence (CC) helps you to look for a job and offers courses to prepare you for a successful application. The eBi program also supports refugee and international students in starting their careers.
Many of our graduates are taken on by the company where they completed their internship semester or wrote their thesis. Current job offers can be found on the CC's Jobs & Events platform or the job board of the employment agency. 


Part-time job during studies

Students from outside the EU who have a residence permit for study purposes can work 120 full days or 240 half days per year during their studies. But keep in mind that your studies take priority: You can usually earn a little pocket money with a part-time job, but it won't be enough to cover your living expenses in Germany.

Learning German

Your access to the German job market, whether for an internship semester or for employment after graduation, will be easier the better your command of the German language. We therefore encourage all foreign students, regardless of their chosen language of instruction, to also take courses in German as a Foreign Language (DaF) at our Foreign Language Institute (IFS). There are intensive courses before the beginning of the study period and courses during the semester. All DaF courses are free of charge.  

The Tandem plus program helps you to come into closer contact with students of HKA and also to use and improve your German language skills.