Hochschule Karlsruhe Hochschule Karlsruhe - University of Applied Sciences
Open navigation Close navigation
Hochschule Karlsruhe Hochschule Karlsruhe - University of Applied Sciences

International Program

Profile Summer semester Winter semester Application & admission After application

You can find more information on procedures "after admission" such as how to obtain a visa or health insurance here.

Course registration

How do I sign up for courses?

Please be aware that you will be able to register for courses only once you have been enrolled, not before. By submitting the learning agreement you are NOT automatically registered for courses. Please register on LSF for all courses with numbers “IP ___” and “S ____” in which you wish to take part.

All courses with the course code IP and S can be found on LSF 

On LSFyou can select the English language and then follow this path: ≫ „Lectures“ ≫ „Course Overview“ ≫ „Zentrale Einrichtungen“ ≫ „Career Services“ ≫”International Program”

Choose a course from the list and apply for it with „apply now/cancel application” button (Cancellation is a similar procedure)

An email for confirmation or waiting list information will be sent to your university email address.

Where do I get my login credentials to the university's IT-systems?

Please visit the pages of the Data center (Rechenzentrum).

I have registered for a course on LSF but have not received any email. What shall I do?

The emails for confirmation or waiting list information will be sent to your university email address. Please check your university email account frequently. Further information can be found here (PDF) 

What do I do if I am waitlisted for a course?

Please note that many courses have limited places for students and the course registration is based on a “first come, first served” system. If there are no places left, you will be on the waiting list and notified via email. If somebody cancels his/her registration, you will be forwarded to the list of participants and informed by email.

How do I cancel courses?

Should you not be able to take part, you need to deregister on  LSF (to access LSF please see below "HKA web for students", please use the German page at the moment) later than 7 days before the seminar starts. This can be done in the same way as registration (Please see “How do I sign up for courses”).

How do I sign up for exams?

You need to register for all the courses (course code IP or S) you participated in and wish to appear on your transcript of records (for all the weekly lectures, for the intensive/weekend courses, for the foreign language courses…)
After having received your course confirmation you need to register for examination (regardless whether the assessment is an exam, a written assignment or a presentation)

Where: Online Services: Studierende -> „Prüfungsverwaltung“ ≫ „Prüfungsanmeldung“ ≫ „Zusatzfächer (PO2)“ ≫ „Grundstudium“ ≫ choose course ≫ „anmelden“
(If you want to cancel your registration this can be done in the same way as the registration).
Deadlines for registration: You can find all details on LSF  or in your course confirmation email.

As an exchange student (abbreviation is EZ in German) you will NOT be able to register on your own for lectures that are offered by the faculties (courses without course code IP and S). 

For exam registration I need a TAN-number. How do I obtain one?

You have to create a TAN list by yourself. Please find further information on this RZ page in the presentation of IT-introductory event 

How do I cancel my exam registration?

If you want to cancel your registration this can be done in the same way as the registration (Please see “How do I sign up for courses”).

Transcript and Grading

How can I check my grades?

You can check your grades online.

Where: Online Services: Studierende --> ”Prüfungsverwaltung” --> ”Notenspiegel“ --> “Abschluss / kein Abschluss möglich“ --> little button „info“

How do I obtain my transcript of records?

The International Office sends the official transcripts to the partner institution for each semester in which the students obtained grades. The transcripts for the winter semester will be sent in March, the transcripts for summer semester in September.

German Grading system

The German Grading system is based on a scale from 1 to 6: 1 = excellent, 2 = good, 3 = satisfactory, 4 = pass, 5+6 = fail grades
The assessment methods vary and may include written exams, oral exams, essays, reports, projects, presentations, group works. Please note that some courses are pass/fail, no grades will be given. For further information please see the webpage of the International Office

Interested in an internship?

The Center of Competence does not provide any placement service. We offer a variety of other helpful services:
1. We recommend taking part in the course “IP 902 Accessing the German Labor Market” (check course list summer semester or winter semester).
2. Start looking for a suitable internship. Have a look at our platform jobs and events
3. Compile your application documents and arrange for an appointment with Ms. Martina Link, room F 314, who will check your application and give some helpful advice.
4. Once you get a placement consult with Ms. Soufiane Sidi-Yacoub (soufiane.sidi-yacoub@h-ka.de), room F 302, about ZAV exemption from work permit (this only applies if you are from a non-EU country).

Cannot find the answer to your question on our website? Then please send an email to internationalprogramspam prevention@h-ka.de or call +49 721 925 2506

Here you can find more information regarding internships and jobs etc. 

More advice and support can be found on the pages of the International Office. 


Center of Competence
International Program/ Course Coordinator and Advisor
Cordelia Makartsev

Phone: +49 (0)721 925-2505
cordelia.makartsevspam prevention@h-ka.de

Office hours:
Mon, Wed + Fri 9.00 a.m.-12.00 a.m.
+ consultations by appointment

Bldg F, room 009
Moltkestraße 30
76133 Karlsruhe

Frau sitzt Mann gegenüber und zeigt auf ein Blatt Papier.

Open consultation hour

Every Thursday 09.30 - 11.30 a.m. ... just click here  to have a chat! 

Further information on the International Program:

Summer semester 
Winter semester
Application & admission